Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Cross Stitch for Kids

 
During the rare occasions I get to do something for myself while M is home I normally do a craft of some kind or a Jigsaw.  The only problem is that If I am doing a craft M often wants to have a go at the same time.  One of my favourite crafts is cross stitch.  I get this out for just a short time without to much mess to clear up.  For a long time M has been wanting to have a go at this as well.  I had plenty of spare material but I work with very small holes.  I'd thought of plastic canvas but couldn't find any in our local shops.  Recently I was browsing a fabric store.  They had normal fabric Aida but with bigger holes.  I still had my doubts so I bought the smallest length of fabric possible.  I got my sewing out today and straight away M was next to me wanting a go.  Ok I thought here goes nothing.

 
 
We browsed Pinterest for something simple he could have a go at.  Everything he was interested in was way to hard.  So I suggested trying an M, but no he wanted to do his whole name.
 
In the cupboard I had a pad of paper with squares on.  So we designed a very simple Matthew that he could do in cross stitch.  Each coloured square meant a cross had to be stitched in that square on the fabric.
 
 
He decided he wanted to do each letter in a different colour.  So he got my boxes of threads out and chose his first colour.  I thought this would be something that would frustrate him and end in him getting annoyed with it.  But no he did really well and had soon completed his name.  We had a frame that held the fabric which made things a lot easier.
 
  
 
Half way though the M he decided he was an expert and up to my standard.  This made us both laugh.
 
 
While sewing his name he decided to make it into a book mark.  So next he is going to sew a pattern around it and then we will mount it onto some felt.
 
Here is a very basic alphabet if anyone wants to have a go.
 
 
I've saved some ideas of simple pictures in my Pinterest folder Kids Cross Stitch
You can also use Perler or Hama bead patterns as long as they are done on a square base (not round) Perler Bead Patterns

3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I had tried cross stitch with my 7 year old and it was such a nightmare as we bought a first kit but it seems too difficult for him. This seem easy to start with. Thank you for sharing it with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! We are featuring you tomorrow on our #laughlearnlinkup. Stop by and visit us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! My daughter loves sewing and has asked about cross stitch. I'd love her to do her name to hang above her bed. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.