Monday, February 3, 2014

Train anagrams


We are currently having fun with words and trying to learn to spell.  Today I decided to have a go at some anagrams.  In word I put together this train picture.  I was then going to type a words and anagrams such as train and airtn.  But then I decide to just print the picture, cover it with sticky backed plastic (or you could laminate it).  To make them a bit stronger I printed them on card.

 
Once I printed out the trains and covered them in plastic, I cut them into separate trains.  Then I separated the train from the carriage.

 
 After this I got the board marker and wrote an anagram on the train and the whole word on the carriage .  This way as we learn to spell the words I can wipe them off and add new words.
 
 
  The idea of the activity is then to work out which carriage goes with which train.

To decide what words to put on them I have been using spelling lists.  You can find these easily on the Internet.  The one I use is http://www.k12reader.com/first-grade-spelling-words/

 
To get this game started we actually got out our magnetic letters.  With these we could find the muddled up letters and he could move them around to work out what word they made.  He didn't need them for long to get the idea of the game and was soon racing through them.

For more spelling and word games look on our Pinterest Board.


Featured on B-inspired MAMA!

 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun way to study spelling! My little boys have all loved trains, but I never thought to create trains for anagrams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I saw it done with flowers and bees, but thought my son would prefer trains. I still haven't got around to actually doing it yet. Maths games took over today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun way to learn, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.