Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Story Time


Given half a chance Matthew would watch TV constantly.  By the end of the day I have often run out of energy for entertaining him so I let him watch it.  Some nights however I persuade him to switch it off and do a quick game or activity before bed time.  I find it strange that in these times he normally goes and gets a game that I have made.  At the moment these are tending to be maths and spelling games.

Tonight when I did this story game he was a little disappointed expecting it to be a word game.  So I had to promise a word game for tomorrow night.  When he got over this and found out what the new game was he soon got into it.

Earlier in the evening I had raided his bedroom for small toys that would fit in a basket.  The idea was to make up a story using all the things in the basket.


I found a selection of things and just put a few in the basket.  To make it more of a surprise I decided to cover the basket.
 
 
 
 
 
We ended up with a tiger driving a green car looking at the stars.
 
There are lots of different ways you could do this game.
 
  1. Have lots of items and the person telling the story can choose 5 to put in the basket.
  2. Choose a selection of items for the other person to tell a story with.
  3. Take it in turns to tell a story using the same items.
But most important make them as silly as you can.

3 comments:

  1. My son has some story cubes he loves to use to make up stories with. I like your ideas! This is a great way to get kids enthusiastic for writing. I chose this post as one of my favorites from the Hearts for Home Blog Hop and I featured it on my post today. I also pinned this to our Pinterest board. Feel free to stop by and grab an "I Was Featured" button: http://learningtable.blogspot.com/2014/02/hearts-for-home-blog-hop-53.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this glad you liked it. I'll go over to you now and have a look.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.